It's all about bouncing back

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Do You Believe in Gosh?

Word from Punchline this morning that "Do You Believe in Gosh?" will be the title for the posthumous Mitch Hedberg CD that Comedy Central plans to release on Sept. 9. According the magazine's earlier reporting on the subject, it will contain almost entirely unheard materials.

I always feel odd listening to or looking at any art that isn't released until after the artist is gone. It feels exploitative, even when it is intended to be respectful. I tend to ponder whether the artist was ready to put this stuff out there yet -- but, in this case, since we are talking about a past live performance, it doesn't bother me as much. Presumably, Hedberg was happy with the material at the time he took it on stage, right?

Besides: I can't pretend that I'm not happy at the prospect of adding more Hedberg material to my collection. I adored his relaxed style, puppy-dog looks and innocent musings. I never grew tired of his approach and we lost him way too young. I miss him.

Here's the first bit I ever remember seeing him perform live -- simple enough, but I never forget it and still quote it regularly today -- typical of his sweet style:




Digg!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for this album. What a beautiful soul, O only heard of him the day he died.

Anonymous said...

That's a shame, hypernation.

I saw what you wrote about him -- I like that you quoted some of his classics lines.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it." That was one of my favorites -- I'd almost forgotten about it!